Results 1 to 36 of 36
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By jellyfish
  • 1 Post By the ancient gamer
  • 1 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By Goodtwin
  • 1 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By juanXGETBACK
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer
  • 2 Post By Elite
  • 2 Post By Tha90sGuy
  • 1 Post By the ancient gamer
  • 1 Post By Darth Praxis
  • 1 Post By the ancient gamer
  • 1 Post By WoodenSaucer

Thread: Zelda Feature

  1. #1
    Mario Kart King! jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,001

    Zelda Feature

    They said one of the gamepads features was added for the new zelda game what do u think it is?

    Nintendo ID: jellyfish


  2. #2
    Member juanXGETBACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Posts
    68
    Where did you read that?
    im really curious about how the next zelda game is going to be. I mean, with skyward sword they went full motion on controls, but with the new gamepad... i dont know if they're gonna go back to old school controls and include the touch screen or keeping the motion controls while adding some kind of use for the gamepad (wich seems a little bit complicated to imagine).

  3. #3
    Mario Kart King! jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    i am not sure where but they said the developers of the zelda game asked for a feature for the game and it was added on the gamepad i think it is the NFC
    princess and Darth Praxis like this.
    Nintendo ID: jellyfish

  4. #4
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    I tend to lean towards the NFC feature for the new Zelda as well. As for basic control I feel abandoning all of that amazing work achieved for Skyward Sword would be a travesty, but the very fact that Wii motion plus is an available control option for Wii U says we can at least expect support for one-to-one control. Maybe they'll make some form of multi-player quest using Wiimotes and gamepad....oh sh*t that sounds awesome!

  5. #5
    Guide princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    I tend to lean towards the NFC feature for the new Zelda as well. As for basic control I feel abandoning all of that amazing work achieved for Skyward Sword would be a travesty, but the very fact that Wii motion plus is an available control option for Wii U says we can at least expect support for one-to-one control. Maybe they'll make some form of multi-player quest using Wiimotes and gamepad....oh sh*t that sounds awesome!
    Dude we can only hope so !
    "I don't always watch TV... but when I do I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ;D " Stay pony my friends ! Quote of the day from Princess : I'M Like A Shooting Star, I've Come So Far. I Can't Go Back To Where I Used To Be .
    - Jasmine (Disney)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    23
    I think the gameplay controls in skyward sword were perfect! I could never go back to just clicking buttons to swing my sword.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nintyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Some where.
    Posts
    2,291
    Battle mode! Player vs player, game pad user can throw in traps or items in the battle field. Meanwhile the wii mote players battle in an arena swinging the remote to block or slash.



    It is bout time a Zelda game has multiplayer!

  8. #8
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    I tend to lean towards the NFC feature for the new Zelda as well. As for basic control I feel abandoning all of that amazing work achieved for Skyward Sword would be a travesty, but the very fact that Wii motion plus is an available control option for Wii U says we can at least expect support for one-to-one control.
    Maybe? What do you think they'd do with the NFC for Zelda? It could be cool, I'm just stumped as to how that would work. As for the motion controls, you feel the same as Avatopia...

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatopia View Post
    I think the gameplay controls in skyward sword were perfect! I could never go back to just clicking buttons to swing my sword.
    I hate to break it to you, but the next Zelda won't use motion controls. And it won't be some wonky hybrid where you use the Pad and a Wiimote. And they won't have you swinging the Pad around. The GamePad will be the number one controller for all the big first party Nintendo games from here on out. They may change it up so you have more control over Link in combat, but you will be clicking buttons again.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

  9. #9
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Well the Zelda demo would suggest that the gameplay would likely be focused logically on the gamepad, but there is nothing saying Nintendo can't or won't utilize motion Plus as either an optional play style or in addition to the gamepad.

  10. #10
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    Well the Zelda demo would suggest that the gameplay would likely be focused logically on the gamepad, but there is nothing saying Nintendo can't or won't utilize motion Plus as either an optional play style or in addition to the gamepad.
    They won't incorporate Wiimote play with the GamePad. No, there is nothing saying they won't, but trust me--they won't. Too weird, too convoluted for a mainstream game. I guess it's possible motion controls could be an option, but that would essentially require two separate builds of the game on one disc. It's a possibility, if they revamp the combat system, but I doubt that's gonna happen in a way that would allow for it. Best to just accept the inevitable, and let it go...

  11. #11
    Member juanXGETBACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    They won't incorporate Wiimote play with the GamePad. No, there is nothing saying they won't, but trust me--they won't. Too weird, too convoluted for a mainstream game. I guess it's possible motion controls could be an option, but that would essentially require two separate builds of the game on one disc. It's a possibility, if they revamp the combat system, but I doubt that's gonna happen in a way that would allow for it. Best to just accept the inevitable, and let it go...
    imma support this theory, the fact that nintendo might try some kind of mix between the gamepad and the wii motion plus just seems so unlikely and hard to imagine. Im cool with going to old school controllers though.

    Im not sure if i'd like NFC integration, im still not getting the fun in that tecnology.

  12. #12
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    They won't incorporate Wiimote play with the GamePad. No, there is nothing saying they won't, but trust me--they won't. Too weird, too convoluted for a mainstream game. I guess it's possible motion controls could be an option, but that would essentially require two separate builds of the game on one disc. It's a possibility, if they revamp the combat system, but I doubt that's gonna happen in a way that would allow for it. Best to just accept the inevitable, and let it go...
    Wow ancient, you must have HATED the Wii remote....did you ever even play Skyward Sword? And as to it being outside of the realm of possibility having 2 control systems, one using Wiimotes and the other using Gamepad, Nintendo ALREADY did this with Twilight Princess. Whether they take advantage of both control systems is in question. My point is why throw away such a magnificent one-to-one control system that Nintendo spent so long developing, that created real battle strategy in every confrontation, when you could incorporate it seemlessly and give everyone a choice in how they play the game?
    Goodtwin likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Goodtwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    500
    I loved the SS controls as well, but I also highly doubt that they will return in Zelda Wii U. Nintendo will want to make full use of the gamepad, just like they did with the Wii Remote and Chuk in SS. Its a shame that it took so long for Nintendo to fully demonstrate how a traditional game can be done with motion controls, but I really do think that Nintendo is moving on from motion controls. Not to say we wont see a Wii Sports 3, but I think thats about the extent of Nintendo's plans going forward. Actually Ubisoft has a pretty cool sports game that looks like it makes decent use of both the wii remote and the gamepad. I am really hoping that there are some surprises on the E-shop, I have a feeling that the potential for the Wii Motion Plus has just scratched the surface, but doubt that to many publishers would be willing to take a big risk for a full retail motion based game for Wii U.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

  14. #14
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    Wow ancient, you must have HATED the Wii remote....did you ever even play Skyward Sword? And as to it being outside of the realm of possibility having 2 control systems, one using Wiimotes and the other using Gamepad, Nintendo ALREADY did this with Twilight Princess. Whether they take advantage of both control systems is in question. My point is why throw away such a magnificent one-to-one control system that Nintendo spent so long developing, that created real battle strategy in every confrontation, when you could incorporate it seemlessly and give everyone a choice in how they play the game?
    Didn't hate the Wiimote at all, but can't say I loved it either. Great for first person shooters, got really old for Madden (and I switched to a Classic Controller). I played the heck out of Skyward Sword, and really liked it--but not the controls as much. They were spotty. Miyamoto even cited the controls as a reason SS didn't sell as well as it should have. I have no idea what you mean by Twilight Princess having two control schemes, so I won't go there. In spite of all that, I have no doubt that Nintendo could have polished the motion control plus scheme for the next Zelda to such a degree I would be happier with it. But your real argument here is not really with me or Goodtwin, it's with Nintendo and their return to more conventional controls (and the Pad screen). And frankly, that's a valid argument.

  15. #15
    quityerbitchin Mudfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The couch
    Posts
    2,559
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: GrapeJuiceKing
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    Wow ancient, you must have HATED the Wii remote....did you ever even play Skyward Sword? And as to it being outside of the realm of possibility having 2 control systems, one using Wiimotes and the other using Gamepad, Nintendo ALREADY did this with Twilight Princess. Whether they take advantage of both control systems is in question. My point is why throw away such a magnificent one-to-one control system that Nintendo spent so long developing, that created real battle strategy in every confrontation, when you could incorporate it seemlessly and give everyone a choice in how they play the game?
    I agree. Though the sword play might've not been perfected, but I'm still convinced swinging a Wii remote is the best application for the sword play in Zelda. If it was up to me, I'd make a Deluxe bundle with a strap that secures the gamepad to you arm. That way I can slash with my remote and block projectiles with my arm.
    Resident 3DS hater
    NNID: COLECOKONG

  16. #16
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    Didn't hate the Wiimote at all, but can't say I loved it either. Great for first person shooters, got really old for Madden (and I switched to a Classic Controller). I played the heck out of Skyward Sword, and really liked it--but not the controls as much. They were spotty. Miyamoto even cited the controls as a reason SS didn't sell as well as it should have. I have no idea what you mean by Twilight Princess having two control schemes, so I won't go there. In spite of all that, I have no doubt that Nintendo could have polished the motion control plus scheme for the next Zelda to such a degree I would be happier with it. But your real argument here is not really with me or Goodtwin, it's with Nintendo and their return to more conventional controls (and the Pad screen). And frankly, that's a valid argument.
    Hey there ancient, thank you for the considerate and thoughtful response. In no way think I am trying to convince you to change your personal opinion on a game experience you had. I have personally loved Skyward Sword, and that's just where I stand. As for my reference to Twilight Princess I was meaning that there were 2 completely different control styles, one on Wii with motion controls, and one on Gamecube using the dual analog controls. And since Wii is generally considered a Gamecube in another suit, there you go.
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 10-29-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

  17. #17
    Mario Kart King! jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    Skyward sword is awesome!!!
    Nintendo ID: jellyfish

  18. #18
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    Hey there ancient, thank you for the considerate and thoughtful response. In no way think I am trying to convince you to change your personal opinion on a game experience you had. I have personally loved Skyward Sword, and that's just where I stand. As for my reference to Twilight Princess I was meaning that there were 2 completely different control styles, one on Wii with motion controls, and one on Gamecube using the dual analog controls. And since Wii is generally considered a Gamecube in another suit, there you go.
    I did like Skyward Sword but had some problems with it--even beyond the controls. I get what you're saying now about Twilight Princess, but that was two different versions of the game, on two different systems, even. If Nintendo was to accommodate both schemes for the new Zelda, they'd have to release a pack with two different games (in all likelihood), and I just don't see that happening. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think I am. That's all.

  19. #19
    Member juanXGETBACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Posts
    68
    My only concern about how much nintendo is going to support the wii remote is the fact that it isnt included in the wii u bundle. From that point on, i really think most third party games and nintendo franchises are going to focus mainly in the gamepad, and forget about the wii remote. Since its not mandatory to use it, developers are gonna stop using it. But well, the balance board did sold very well so idk, but i kind of agree with ancient gamer.

    I did like motion gaming, but if they were thinking of droping it and focus on the awesome awesome gamepad i'd be very happy.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

  20. #20
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Activision has seen fit to add Wii remote and nunchuck control as well as Pro controller and Gamepad control scenes to Black ops II. If a third party can add ALL 3 to one game, why couldn't Nintendo do the same? Just wondering. In all truth playing Zelda in HD in ANY way will frickin' rock!!!

    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...first-details/
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 10-29-2012 at 11:51 PM.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oztraylia
    Posts
    198
    It's not about accomodating multiple controllers, it's about leveraging specific features of a controller in the core gameplay which will prohibit that choice.

    There are things you can do with the wiimote which you cannot with the gamepad, and vice versa. Now Nintendo, when it comes to creating system-seller games, is going to focus on the unique opportunities afforded by the primary controller, to the detriment of compatibility with the wiimote.

    To make the richest experience possible, that HAS to happen. Red Steel 2 would have been impossible to play with the classic controller, and if it were made to work with both setups, would have suffered. Twilight princess was a gamecube game with attack mapped to "detect swing from wiimote", it was crude and shallow, and shows what happens when developers take the low road.

    While i would love zelda to maintain a focus on the wiimote (hey, it IS a sword and shield dammit!), i would have to concede that Nintendo will use the game to push the gamepad. While that means exciting new uses for the gamepad (Nintendo always saves us from gimmickry), it will be at the expense of the wiimote. :/

    But hopefully that isn't the end of motion controls. The Wiimote has been rebranded for a reason, Nintendoland is there to build a connection between the Wii's controllers and the new generation of hardware. Hopefully they'll also see fit to make Wiimote-specialised games to get the third parties thinking likewise. If any "peripheral" ever had a shot at getting this sort of treatment (and not failing horribly), it will be the Wiimote with its established userbase of millions.

  22. #22
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
    It's not about accomodating multiple controllers, it's about leveraging specific features of a controller in the core gameplay which will prohibit that choice.

    There are things you can do with the wiimote which you cannot with the gamepad, and vice versa. Now Nintendo, when it comes to creating system-seller games, is going to focus on the unique opportunities afforded by the primary controller, to the detriment of compatibility with the wiimote.

    To make the richest experience possible, that HAS to happen. Red Steel 2 would have been impossible to play with the classic controller, and if it were made to work with both setups, would have suffered. Twilight princess was a gamecube game with attack mapped to "detect swing from wiimote", it was crude and shallow, and shows what happens when developers take the low road.
    I386
    While i would love zelda to maintain a focus on the wiimote (hey, it IS a sword and shield dammit!), i would have to concede that Nintendo will use the game to push the gamepad. While that means exciting new uses for the gamepad (Nintendo always saves us from gimmickry), it will be at the expense of the wiimote. :/

    But hopefully that isn't the end of motion controls. The Wiimote has been rebranded for a reason, Nintendoland is there to build a connection between the Wii's controllers and the new generation of hardware. Hopefully they'll also see fit to make Wiimote-specialised games to get the third parties thinking likewise. If any "peripheral" ever had a shot at getting this sort of treatment (and not failing horribly), it will be the Wiimote with its established userbase of millions.
    Very well delineated response, Cubits. Can't find any fault in your retort and honestly I won't really have any problem moving to the Gamepad, it's those damn sentimentals buggin' me, which in turn forces me to gleefully bug the unmitigated piss out of ancient gamer (:-D), but to all the rest of you I vow to desist with my fruitless defense of the waggle-monster.


    Oh yeah, sorry for hijackin' yer thread jellyfish, and thanks for your support... ;-)
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 10-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.

  23. #23
    Member juanXGETBACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Posts
    68
    well BO2 is a straight foward fps we're talking about here, its not as complex as a zelda game. Zelda has puzzles, wich are especifically made with a controller in mind. In SS even enemies were puzzles on themselves. So thats why i find it hard to believe nintendo is gonna do different control schemes. This is not like TP where they made some changes here and there in the gameplay, but puzzles stay the same, withouth taking motion control into the question. Those changes kept the game virtually the same. Now, can you imagine if the same would've been done with SS? Is it posible a SS withouth motion control? How would it be to kill Ghirahim with a normal controller? SS was thought with the wii motion plus as its core. Idk, it just seems like a lot of work. Unless they somehow manage to balance gamepad + wii remote controller. But that'd mean changing controls on the go during the game, unless they put some kind of multiplayer component (wich i doubt since Zelda is basically a solo experience, at least until now).

    But anyway those are my thoughts on this issue lmao
    Last edited by juanXGETBACK; 10-30-2012 at 06:29 AM.

  24. #24
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    8,907
    Well, according to the big Zelda rumor, the new Zelda game will use every single Gamepad function and push them to their limits. I guess that would include the NFC. But as much as I hate to say it, I'm starting to not believe that rumor at all, anymore. Miyamoto recently said, "The possibility of Retro Studios making a new Zelda with a good proposal isn’t a farfetched idea at all and could be possible." That kind of makes it sound like they don't even have anyone developing it yet. Hopefully, he's talking about a future game, and not the one we hope they're already working on.

    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    They won't incorporate Wiimote play with the GamePad. No, there is nothing saying they won't, but trust me--they won't. Too weird, too convoluted for a mainstream game. I guess it's possible motion controls could be an option, but that would essentially require two separate builds of the game on one disc. It's a possibility, if they revamp the combat system, but I doubt that's gonna happen in a way that would allow for it. Best to just accept the inevitable, and let it go...
    We don't really even hardly have to speculate. Early on, Miyamoto, himself, said that they're probably going to go back to some type of button pushing combat. He said it's because too many people complained about Skyward Sword, but we know that it's really because they want to push the Gamepad usage.
    the ancient gamer likes this.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Elite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas baby!!!
    Posts
    519
    i dont know, i always felt like i had to stand up to play skyward sword. I would rather be able to sit on my couch to play. Dam bird flying and not being able to point down while on the couch.
    princess and juanXGETBACK like this.
    Nintendo Live ID: Elitepwnsface

    My white wii U is better than your black one.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Tha90sGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The G A M I N G O f f i c e
    Posts
    1,037
    The possibilities for a new Zelda on the Wii U are endless. For example, everyone has their own ideas for new tools Link could acquire in the next game. Someone mentioned an axe, a spellbook, and to even bring back the slingshot. Well how about the RAFT?, an item we haven't seen since the first 2 Zelda games on the NES.

    Now just think, there could be some sort of ongoing mission in which we need to collect say 100 DEKU STICKS, but the twist is, they are very rare deku sticks that we're after in which we can only obtain by very rare deku babas that dwell in specific areas throughout the land, forests, whatever.

    The wood is more durable and suitable to craft a raft. So once we've collected all 100 deku sticks, Link then assembles the raft, but you as the player do this on the gamepad controller by using your finger in some configuration to bring together the deku sticks in the shape of a raft. And on the TV screen, we get to see Link actually kneeling down in the forest beside a stream handcrafting the raft, weaving together the deku sticks.

    Now we can cross streams, rivers, maybe even oceans to reach new land and dungeons in far off reaches.

    And what about the LENS OF TRUTH?, one of the most original items in the franchise.

    By holding up the gamepad to the TV screen, we can now see an invisible exit/entrance through a wall.

    Essentially the gamepad becomes the lens of truth and we feel more active using it unlike in OOT in which we simply press a button to make the magnifying glass appear on the screen. Just imagine being lost in a large room with many walls and no way to advance, we now take the initiative and use the gamepad AS the lenth of truth in order to find a way out. Seeing through fog, mist, would work well too.

    How about being able to see through actual fire in the fire temple? Then being able to walk right through it while wearing the fire tunic. Maybe we can even upgrade to a more powerful, versatile lense. The FROST LENS, the FIRE LENSE, ect.

    What about the SHADOW SABER?, a sword that can vanish in the palm of your hands.

    I don't think there's a need to bring back the SLINGSHOT. We've had it in the last few Zelda games and in my opinion Link only needs one long-range weapon and that's the BOW.

    Nintendo needs to bring back the MAGIC METER though, something that was missing in SS, so a SPELLBOOK would work wonders.

    By holding the gamepad vertical, we swipe our finger from right to left to flip a page, and on the TV screen we see Link standing in an HD sanctuary holding up the book and flipping a page simeltaneously with us, studying the spells.

    These are just some of my ideas, and it's things like this that would really make Zelda shine.
    Last edited by Tha90sGuy; 11-08-2012 at 07:48 PM.

  27. #27
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenSaucer View Post
    Well, according to the big Zelda rumor, the new Zelda game will use every single Gamepad function and push them to their limits. I guess that would include the NFC. But as much as I hate to say it, I'm starting to not believe that rumor at all, anymore. Miyamoto recently said, "The possibility of Retro Studios making a new Zelda with a good proposal isn’t a farfetched idea at all and could be possible." That kind of makes it sound like they don't even have anyone developing it yet. Hopefully, he's talking about a future game, and not the one we hope they're already working on.

    We don't really even hardly have to speculate. Early on, Miyamoto, himself, said that they're probably going to go back to some type of button pushing combat. He said it's because too many people complained about Skyward Sword, but we know that it's really because they want to push the Gamepad usage.

    If the rumor is true, and they're really gonna push the Pad's capabilities, what do you see them doing with NFC? I don't read much into the Retro comment at all except their next game won't be Zelda. I don't think you have to worry about them slacking on Zelda, either. If no one at Nintendo is working on one right now, I'll eat my Wii U. I do think people complained about SS's controls (not just me)--it was one of the main reasons the game got sub-par (by Zelda standards) reviews from two of the biggest review sites around.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

  28. #28
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Great post 90sGuy! I love seeing people get creative with the posibilities of the Wii U.

    As for Skyward Sword's reception initially, I agree with IGN's 10/10 review of it:

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/...d-sword-review

    Here's an excerpt from the review specifically detailing their impressions of the controls:

    "Pairing itself with Wii MotionPlus, Skyward Sword's 1:1 combat is a revelation. I never want to play a Zelda game any other way again, and playing through this makes me wonder why we didn't see motion control of this quality before. The responsiveness and intuitiveness of the entire arrangement is superb. The applications of Motion Plus never step into gimmicky territory. Guiding your mechanical flying Beetle, rolling bombs, swimming in water and soaring through the sky by pivoting and flicking the remote not only feels natural, it makes you wonder how you ever played an action game that wasn't on Wii. Zelda: Skyward Sword is the purest, most perfect realization of Nintendo's ambitious goals for motion-controlled gaming. It somehow took five years, but the definitive proof plays out before you on the screen.

    The new combat system requires skill and patience. Though impulsive, unpredictable waggling can get some results, most enemies are programmed to react to such behavior, and they'll punish you for it. On occasion my temper would get the best of me against an enemy, but swinging my remote faster didn't help. Some enemies anticipate your moves or use their weapons to block certain attacks, making routine fights far more challenging and complicated than in past Zelda games. None of your enemies are overtly difficult, but the added complexity, combined with more sophisticated puzzles and world designs, make each victory that much sweeter. What Ocarina of Time started with lock-on targeting, Skyward Sword perfects by adding layers of nuanced strategy. You'll rarely die, but you'll find yourself working hard to defeat and out-maneuver your opponents."

    Again this is my perspective, but here is the link to metacritics expert review list for the game as well:

    http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/t...critic-reviews
    Last edited by Darth Praxis; 10-31-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Tha90sGuy likes this.

  29. #29
    Mario Kart King! jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    I would like some form of motion control but it is going to be amazing anywayBy the way how do you think they are going to use the camera?
    Nintendo ID: jellyfish

  30. #30
    Moderator the ancient gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Praxis View Post
    Great post 90sGuy! I love seeing people get creative with the posibilities of the Wii U.

    As for Skyward Sword's reception initially, I agree with IGN's 10/10 review of it:

    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review - IGN

    Here's an excerpt from the review specifically detailing their impressions of the controls:

    "Pairing itself with Wii MotionPlus, Skyward Sword's 1:1 combat is a revelation. I never want to play a Zelda game any other way again, and playing through this makes me wonder why we didn't see motion control of this quality before. The responsiveness and intuitiveness of the entire arrangement is superb. The applications of Motion Plus never step into gimmicky territory. Guiding your mechanical flying Beetle, rolling bombs, swimming in water and soaring through the sky by pivoting and flicking the remote not only feels natural, it makes you wonder how you ever played an action game that wasn't on Wii. Zelda: Skyward Sword is the purest, most perfect realization of Nintendo's ambitious goals for motion-controlled gaming. It somehow took five years, but the definitive proof plays out before you on the screen.

    The new combat system requires skill and patience. Though impulsive, unpredictable waggling can get some results, most enemies are programmed to react to such behavior, and they'll punish you for it. On occasion my temper would get the best of me against an enemy, but swinging my remote faster didn't help. Some enemies anticipate your moves or use their weapons to block certain attacks, making routine fights far more challenging and complicated than in past Zelda games. None of your enemies are overtly difficult, but the added complexity, combined with more sophisticated puzzles and world designs, make each victory that much sweeter. What Ocarina of Time started with lock-on targeting, Skyward Sword perfects by adding layers of nuanced strategy. You'll rarely die, but you'll find yourself working hard to defeat and out-maneuver your opponents."

    Again this is my perspective, but here is the link to metacritics expert review list for the game as well:

    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Critic Reviews for Wii - Metacritic

    I don't even know what to make of this post. I read about three reviews of the game before I bought it because even if the reviewers said it was crap, I still wanted it. Are you trying to convince me I was the only person on the planet who had some issues with the controls? Well, I wasn't, but I may well be in the minority on that one. I don't care. Does your post erase what Miyamoto said about control issues, and the series returning to button mashing combat roots? No, it doesn't. Does linking the IGN review (which I've read, by the way) and the Metacritic index convince me it is the greatest Zelda of all time? Not by a long shot. I can be convinced that Ernest Scared Stupid is the greatest film in the annals of cinema, and you can maintain it is The Godfather. Most people would agree with you, but if I truly am convinced Ernest is, that's my opinion. That's how it goes. And plenty of other people believe Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess are better games. The funny part is I never even called Skyward Sword a bad game. It's not. Is the post a primal scream to the video game gods to retain motion controls? It's not gonna happen. I'm very confused by all this, and why you can't let it go...
    Last edited by the ancient gamer; 10-31-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    WoodenSaucer likes this.

  31. #31
    Moderator Darth Praxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    3,618
    Nintendo NID
    DarthPraxs
    Other Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Darth Praxis Steam ID: DarthPraxis
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    i don't even know what to make of this post. I read about three reviews of the game before i bought it because even if the reviewers said it was crap, i still wanted it. Are you trying to convince me i was the only person on the planet who had some issues with the controls? Well, i wasn't, but i may well be in the minority on that one. I don't care. Does your post erase what miyamoto said about control issues, and the series returning to button mashing combat roots? No, it doesn't. Does linking the ign review (which i've read, by the way) and the metacritic index convince me it is the greatest zelda of all time? Not by a long shot. I can be convinced that ernest scared stupid is the greatest film in the annals of cinema, and you can maintain it is the godfather. Most people would agree with you, but if i truly am convinced ernest is, that's my opinion. That's how it goes. And plenty of other people believe ocarina of time and twilight princess are better games. The funny part is i never even called skyward sword a bad game. It's not. Is the post a primal scream to the video game gods to retain motion controls? It's not gonna happen. I'm very confused by all this, and why you can't let it go...




    .................................................. ...............................yes................ .................................................. ............

  32. #32
    Releaser of the Hounds WoodenSaucer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    8,907
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    If the rumor is true, and they're really gonna push the Pad's capabilities, what do you see them doing with NFC? I don't read much into the Retro comment at all except their next game won't be Zelda. I don't think you have to worry about them slacking on Zelda, either. If no one at Nintendo is working on one right now, I'll eat my Wii U. I do think people complained about SS's controls (not just me)--it was one of the main reasons the game got sub-par (by Zelda standards) reviews from two of the biggest review sites around.
    I don't have any idea what they would do with the NFC. Hopefully not figurines. If the rumor is true, then it sounds like it will be something that we may not have seen yet. I can't wait until we get some real info on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient gamer View Post
    I can be convinced that Ernest Scared Stupid is the greatest film in the annals of cinema, and you can maintain it is The Godfather.
    Hey, you can't go wrong with Ernest movies. Know what I mean, Vern?
    the ancient gamer likes this.

  33. #33
    Mario Kart King! jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,001
    I'm hoping they will do some thing cool like new characters or characters from previous games or new abilities and not just hearts or coins
    Nintendo ID: jellyfish

  34. #34
    Guide princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I'm hoping they will do some thing cool like new characters or characters from previous games or new abilities and not just hearts or coins
    I know right ! That would really be thinkin out of the box .
    "I don't always watch TV... but when I do I watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ;D " Stay pony my friends ! Quote of the day from Princess : I'M Like A Shooting Star, I've Come So Far. I Can't Go Back To Where I Used To Be .
    - Jasmine (Disney)

  35. #35
    Senior Member RyuNoHadouken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    491
    Place a Ganon figurine on the gamepad to fight him in his true form and get the best ending....lol

  36. #36
    Moderator The Detonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,052
    Nintendo NID
    Detonator
    Other Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: EvilKuriboh1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyuNoHadouken View Post
    Place a Ganon figurine on the gamepad to fight him in his true form and get the best ending....lol
    lol that would be great. they could suck a lot of money out of us using the nfc feature....
    Site Rules/Guidelines
    Ultimate Guide to Wii U Forums
    Forum Leaders/Staff
    See anything wrong? Report it! Click the /!\ triangle in the bottom left of each post!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •